Monday, September 3, 2012

My Vacation Adventures in Lima, Peru

As you know, I recently took a trip to Peru, where I visited Lima, Cuzco, Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu.

For now I'll focus on the first part of the vacation in Lima. Our 3 bedroom, 2 story apartment in Miraflores was fabulous. Miraflores is one of the wealthier suburbs of Lima so walking around felt relatively safe, even at night.

The apartment:

The place was on the top floor of a high rise and featured this view of the city:

The first few days in Lima were spent exploring the city. We visited the local mall, Larcomar(of course), as well as fine dining restaurants, bars, nightclubs and museums.

Museo Larco, in San Isidro, was of particular interest to us girls because of its collection of pre-Columbian erotic art. Ancient erotic art, yes please!


As you can see from this archaeological evidence, the annoying habit of a man pushing a ladies head down during oral sex is nothing new!

No matter the decade, for some reason all men on earth seem to think everyone wants to look at their penis.

There were also some non-sexual exhibits..
Trepanation is cool! Seriously, the Incas were actually pretty good at skull surgery.

Overall, the most unforgettable segment of the Lima trip was the para-sailing! For anyone who has never tried it, I would highly recommend it. Para-sailing is exciting enough to appeal to adventurous types, but once you get up in the air it is actually a relaxing tour of the city. Or maybe I am crazy, I have no fear of heights so I found it as relaxing as a giant swing!

Para-sailing for beginners is done in tandem with an instructor. The only part that made me even slightly nervous was when we were taking off and the instructor told me to start running and go right over the cliff. 'I have to run myself over the cliff??' I thought? OMG! But I did it anyway! I started running, and before I made it to the edge, the sail took off and we started flying. See the edge of the cliff in the photo?

Flying over the ocean cliffs. If its not already obvious from the smile on my face, this is FUN!

As you can see, Miraflores is beautiful. Its full of modern high rises, boardwalks overlooking the sea, and lush green gardens. The one big detraction is that the city is bathed in fog for pretty much the entire winter(April through October). Notice the melancholy fog and cloud cover in every single picture? If I lived here I would miss the sun!

There are surfers out there, catching waves despite the wintery weather.

High rises as far as the eye can see. Lima is home to 8.5 million people.

Next I'll blog my adventures in Cuzco and Machu Picchu!








1 comment: